Site Loader

Did you just receive a call from 202-836-9542 (aka 2028369542) or a mailer from PO Box 4519 Skokie, IL 60076? If this is the case, you were contacted by Unifin. 

Unifin is a debt collection company that has the sole purpose to collect a debt. However, debt collectors collect this debt at a fraction of the price. So it may be likely that they are trying to contact you about some unpaid debt you may have.

Will Unifin Sue me?

There is the possibility that Unifin sues you for unpaid debt. Third-party debt collectors will sometimes sue with the help of another network, however, it doesn’t always happen. A collection agency will sometimes sue for debts less than $5,000 but, they generally sue for larger amounts. 

How legitimate is Unifin?

According to BBB, Unifin has been around since 2014 with multiple locations. You will see that they will most of the time use the number, 202-836-9542 to reach out to individuals with unpaid debt. According to Unifin’s website, the company is GLBA compliance, part of ACA international, HIPPA compliant, and BBB accredited.

How can a debt collector sue me?

You can check out our article on when a debt collector sues, which should give you an even better idea. Nevertheless, here are some of the speculations we have about when a creditor may sue: 

  1. Do you have any equity in the assets that the banks can calculate on the premise of what is going on with your credit report?
  2. Does your state grant levies, liens, or wage garnishment? Feel free to check the bottom section of this to see.
  3. How many accounts are you past due on? Sometimes, there will be a higher chance of being sued if you have a large number of accounts in debt. 
  4. Do you have any bank accounts with the creditors that you owe money to?
  5. Generally, you will see creditors sue for amounts with a larger total, but there are times where they will sue for under $2,000 owed.

How do I know if I am being sued?

If you are being sued, there will be a court summons delivered straight to the door by hand. This is to make sure that there is no miscommunication on if you have received the summons or not. If you end up ignoring the summons, you may find yourself losing a lot more, as the plaintiff will most likely request a default judgment

I don’t want to be sued. What can I do for debt relief?

Fortunately, you regularly have alternatives to determine the debt. Shockingly, the inquiry regularly becomes which debt do you resolve and which debt do you need to keep remarkable. The same number of us can’t resolve the entirety of the debt at once, and we are being reached by a wide range of creditors.

Here are some options for debt relief: 

  1. Take care of debt yourself with a debt payoff planner
  2. Debt Settlement 
  3. Hire a debt management company 
  4. Bankruptcy

If you want to take care of the debt yourself, I would recommend using our debt payoff planner, as it will get you out of debt faster and cheaper than the snowball method. If, you are interested in the other options you access our debt freedom portal, where you will get a long-term plan to tackle debt.

I don’t think this is my debt. Can I ask them to stop calling me from 202-836-9542?

If you have any feeling that this is not your debt and there is a miscommunication of information, you have the right to ask for verification of debt

Yes, you can ask Unifin to cease communication as that is part of your consumer rights per the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).

I am not quite sure about my situation

If you have any questions or concerns with your situation please feel free to give us a call or text at (833) 272-3631 or email

Post Author: Ben Tejes

Ben Tejes is a co-founder and CEO of Ascend Finance. Before Ascend, Ben held various executive roles at personal finance companies. Ben specializes in Chapter 13 Bankruptcy, Debt Settlement, Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and debt payoff methods. In his free time, Ben enjoys spending time going on adventures with his wife and three young daughters.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *